Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Kripalu












   


For my birthday, Nick surprised me with a yoga retreat to the Kripalu Center, nestled in The Berkshires in Massachusetts. (!!) When I arrived I had time to squeeze in a yoga class before dinner and heading to my first cooking class (that Nick had also signed me up for) with Kripalu's infamous Executive Chef, Deb Morgan. Yes, I know, I have the most amazing boyfriend! Deb had us start by giving us all a clementine. She slowed us down to awaken our senses to the fruit before us, starting from the first smell, to the feel of the skin as we slowly dug our fingers into it, to the first time it touched our tongue. I knew then this was going to be such a memorable weekend. This, or course, was only the beginning.


When class ended that night I walked the Kripalu hallways on my way back to my dorm and passed one of the main studios. I heard drum beats and of course I stopped. I waited a moment, looking up the steps at the big wooden doors before me and thought, what the hell, this is my weekend. I opened the doors and as the drum beats verberated off my body I joined the huge gathering inside the dimly light massive studio as they swayed and danced to the beats and Shiva Rea's voice leading a Fire Dance. We were celebrating the auspicious day (11/11/11) and as it got closer to 10 pm she had everyone sit down on meditation cushions and led us through an hour long mediation and chanting until 11:11pm. Around the world on this day people joined together from their respective 10:11-11:11 hour to take part in a 24 hour meditation for unity, and here I was ending my night at the Kripalu center being led by a famous yoga teacher whose yoga videos Nick and I have done together countless times. How cool.

The next morning I started my day with a 6:30 AM sunrise yoga class. The Sunrise Room has a wall of windows facing the lawn, leading down to Lake Mahkeenac with the picturesque Berkshires standing proud behind it. The class began as the teacher slowly warmed up our still sleeping bodies. Then the sun appeared and peaked up over the mountains tops to personally welcome our Surya Namaskaras. I smiled as its rays reached out and touched my face, sweeping my arms up overhead, I closed my eyes and bowed to it. Pure bliss. Every second was worth the early start and this is coming from someone who hits her snooze button at least 10 times each morning.

I felt like I floated through the rest of the weekend. I enjoyed two cooking classes that Saturday where I was taught to cook with love as Deb explained our emotions show through our food. "Why else is your favorite home-cooked meal by your parent better then a perfectly cooked filet mignon from a restaurant?" I also was able to sneak in a meditation class and a trip to the whirlpool and in the women's spa (bathing suits optional). That night, my cooking class sat down to eat the dinner we worked so hard on during the afternoon accompanied by some great wine. Again, I was in heaven.

Maple Ginger Salmon recipe
The next morning I attempted to make it to another sunrise yoga class but after mixing up the room it was in and missing the beginning of class I decided to take a walk down to the lake with one of my roommates. The morning was cool and crisp and the fog was rising off the peaceful water as we reached the lake. I then understood why I missed the yoga class, the view was absolutely beautiful. (*more pictures below)

Lake Mahkeenac.
Later that morning we wrapped up our cooking classes by making cookies and tea and getting a tour of the Kripalu kitchen. I learned great healthy recipes and skills to make me feel more comfortable in the kitchen. I ended my 'me-retreat' by taking a yoga dance class where I jumped and danced around the room (what a work out) laughing and moving in a freedom I haven't felt since I was little. I said goodbye to the Kripalu and realized why people traveled far and wide to come to this place. It has this ability to invokes a peace deep within your being and releases you back into the world centered and calm. As one of my cooking classmates said "I told my family if I ever disappear, this is where they'll find me". Whenever I get overwhelmed I close my eyes and imagine a part of my weekend here and know in my heart I will visit again.


Kripalu's famous chocolate chip cookies.



Morning fog rising off Lake Mahkeenac.

Early morning frost.
View through the leaves.



No comments:

Post a Comment