Sunday, April 1, 2012

Dinghy Rebuild

This is a project I wish I could have done over the Winter but just didn't have the inside workspace available. With all projects this one had some serious restrictions as well as compromises. Ideally I would like a sturdy dinghy that is sailable, rows well, is light weight and low cost. Doesn't take much time to figure out that isn't possible. Size is a major restriction with our boats beam being 8'11" we want the dingy to be smaller so it can go on the transom if needed so 8'6" was our size. Can't afford an outboard so rowable is mandatory and sailable would be nice, as of now the sailing part doesn't seem feasible but you never know. Light weight is critical for us to be able to move it comfortably without it becoming a major hassle when storing it on deck. Cost is always a issue so we set a budget of $400. Yes you could get a lot nicer and better boat but I doubt you could in our price range.

The plan was to build a simple Portuguese style boat but after pricing out wood this was not even feasible. After some sweating and being nervous we would have no boat I found a 13' Dory in need of repair on craigslist and swooped it up. The gunwales need replacing, parts of the ply wood sides are deteriorated and it is missing breast hooks also it is 13' not 8'6" but after checking it out seemed I could work with it and talked the owner down to $275.

Keep in mind this is a work in progress and I tend to change plans on the go as I run into problems.

































Above is the boat chopped and before its chopped. It was deceptively hard to measure the correct placement since I am used to two dimensional angles but after some work I made the cut. With the structure weakened I went to work right away making a new transom out of hardwood plywood salvaged from an old kitchen.

















I used an old scythe to do the angles on the top of the transom. After fitting it in tight it was secured and then the edges inside an out sealed with epoxy filler. With the transom on for the moment I turned my Epoxy container loose on the deteriorated plywood and rebuilt much of the area that the gunwales attach to since last time it seemed to be unprotected. This was then all sealed up with exterior trim paint and is ready for the next few steps which will be putting on gunwales, building a small keel then some fiberglass work. Once that is all set I will move to the interior and see what I can come up with in such a tiny boat. The seats pictured below are just for support while I had the transom off they will be in different locations later and the fish eye makes the aft look wider than it really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment