Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Burnt Ends

Family request for burnt ends was just what I needed as an excuse to fire up the smoker on a recent trip to CT. As many of you know I have a masonry smoker that I built last year and have been using it to fill peoples belly's with delicious smoked meats. This time brisket was the meat of choice.
Two 6lb briskets with dry rub of salt, raw sugar, paprika, pepper and a few other fun spices. I started the smoker about an hour early to get a nice even temperature throughout the masonry surface.

It was a squeeze but managed to fit both briskets in. With a good bed of coals and a load of apple wood the smoke started flowing. I kept the temp a little higher than in the past at 250 degree and tended the fire every 30 minutes. After five hours the briskets had some nice burnt ends and the middles reached my final temperature.

They got sliced up and devoured quite quickly after. Served with corn bread and a homemade maple rum BBQ sauce they turned out to be a success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment