Monday, February 27, 2012

Acer

Those who know me know my love of maple. I have in the past spent a lot of time working in a sugar house so for this first Winter back in a long time I figured I would at least tap a few trees and enjoy the rewards.


Nothing is as good as fresh maple syrup and like most things homemade is best.



I picked out a few trees and within a day was trying out some tasty syrup. This time I had to buy a couple of new taps since the old ones disappeared but once I located some and tapped the tree, sap was flowing with in minutes.




















Once enough sap is collected I am ready to start boiling, now it's waiting time. You boil away until the reduced liquid is 7.1 degrees above the boiling point for water that day. Be careful not to burn it on the bottom of the pan though since it reduces a lot!


















With my first batch I made one of my favorite maple spreads. Amazing on toast...or just on a spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment