Wednesday, June 20, 2012

All Those Colors in One Space

I picked out the colors for the interior of our boat a little while back. "Is this her first time painting?" Whispered the guy behind the Lowes paint counter to Nick as I walked a few feet away..."She's not going to use them all in the same room, is she?" Nick laughed and shrugged, he did after all tell me I could pick whatever colors I wanted...

Yes it is true, we are stepping away from the conventional interior colors (gasp!!), but, we aren't really the conventional type either so I'm sure it's of no surprise. If we're living aboard and traveling in a small space we need to make it our own, and we need color!



The v-berth (front sleeping quarters) ceiling was painted a kiwi green so our morning vision of palm trees and islands can play in our minds when we open our eyes. We went with a brilliant blue for our galley (kitchen area) for a Mediterranean vibe. It draws the eye in and is such a beautifully compliment to the mahogany and teak wood surrounding it. A coral was picked for an accent color here and there because, well, I love coral! Finally we got a midnight blue in high gloss for the head (bathroom). Yes, we went dark for our smallest space. Low and behold the high gloss reflects the white around it making it actually look more spacious! We played around with the colors in different spaces and (ok) we added some classic sailor touches :) it is a sailboat after all!

I think it is important to make your living space calm and nurturing. Adding color is the perfect way to do that especially with such a small space to work with. As my mom says, you need to have feng shui. :)




4 comments:

  1. I love it! Great job you two! Can't wait to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Whitney! Rumor has it you guys may be heading up for the 4th??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job guys. I am so happy someone loves the boat again. I'm sorry I did not run into you first. I was giving the boat away to get out from under it after many years of great sailing. Health problems changed things. By the way "MIA XAPA" is the greek equivalent of jamacian idea. It means one happiness. Mia Xapa was my second boat. I replaced a 27 ft heroschoff sloop when I outgrew it with my family. I enjoyed several trips to the 5 islands area where my family has a home on the sheepscot river. I also sailed all over the chesapeake and down to the outer banks. The last couple of years the boat was in neglect.. Health issues..Getting old is not for sissies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, the history behind the name! I love it and I love hearing the history of our boat. I'm so happy you found us! It's great to hear you loved the boat as we do now. I'm sorry to hear about your health! Damn age always creeps up on us no matter how fast we try to put sail it :)

    ReplyDelete