Saturday, June 30, 2012

Prop

With the new engine we needed a new prop to spin the correct way. Also since the boat was out of the water it was prudent to change the cutlass bearing which holds the prop shaft inline and start off everything right with the re-power.

Try as I might I couldn't locate any set screws so I tried plan B which was to put a pipe wrench on it and turn it out. Fail. Plan C was pair of vice grips and pull really hard. Fail. Plan D was to use the puller for the transmission coupling that we had but it wouldn't fit in the area at all. Finally I decided to make my own tool which often has mixed results.

 

I built a spacer out of 2X3 wood pieces. Then I tapped two 1/4" holes in the side of the bearing and threaded in two bolts. I put a 8" bolt with a washer and a nut into the bearing and tightened the side bolts to keep it from pulling out. With a nut on the vice grips and a nut on the open end wrench I then was able to back the long bolt out pulling the bearing with it. It was close to not working but just as i was about to give up I heard a bang and the bearing loosened. Turns out it was put in with resin and once the seal broke I was able to just pull it out.



With the bearing out I was able to put the new one in after cutting it to length and then fairing it into the keel, unlike last time. Now I was ready to install the new prop, if only I had it. When the engine came it was supposed to be carrying the new prop in its box and what do you know, it wasn't in the box. After a frantic phone call it was determined that the prop was never ordered. Less than 24 hours before the launch the package finally arrived and went on with no problems, we hope. For our new prop we went with a 2 blade 13" 10 pitch design to reduce drag and optimize our engine.
Let you know how it works soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment